Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Obama’s woes

There is an information overdrive on Obama, be it on the net, newspapers and magazines whatever. I too had my share of these informations. There was a “Qawalli” for Barack Hussein Obama II in New Delhi connecting him with his otherwise hidden middle name. A town “Obama” in Japan was celebrating the event as it shared the name with him. Hawaii Island is surely connected with him as he was born there. Indonesia was not too far in celebration. Kenya also has a reason to celebrate. African Americans in America have an emotional reason without taking out the fact that his mother was a White. The list goes on. Everybody today wants to get connected to Obama today.


Yesterday I could reach home early to watch the proceedings of the inauguration of his Presidency. The first clip I got was him going to White House to meet then President Bush wearing a red tie and President Bush welcoming him wearing a Blue tie, what made me wonder was the significance of these colours. I found out that I was not the one who have discovered this , almost reading my mind the media commentator standing in chilling Washington winter announced that it represented there respective party colours. Later when I saw Biden the vice president elect wearing a distinctive blue colour ties which missed the media scrutiny. Even my wife joined in today in my ritual to watch TV without complaining. I had to hide my hunger prangs to have it quenched after the president made his now can be called a famous speech.


He is called a very calm person but before he made his appearance in Capitol Hill I could sense the tension this person might be going thru. At least I was tensed trying to put myself in his shoes. All the events have made him today not only the statesman of America but that of entire World. All the countries, races and people look to him as a leader to end all their woes. I am sure he must be aware of these expectations. This could be very well confirmed from his speech. He spoke like a world leader, quite balanced, neither a word less nor more. I am sure everybody waits to see his solutions on political and economic turmoil in USA and rest of the world. These are surely the paradigm and normal thoughts. This could not make him one the greatest US president as expected.



I decide to put my bit of extra burden on this man. Recently when I was in US for a short visit could speak to some of the avid thinkers there. They said the major change he should and will bring is in energy security. He did mention this in his speech empathetically enough but could be easily missed by people at large. He Said “each day brings further evidence that the ways we use energy strengthen our adversaries and threaten our planet.” He added “We will harness the sun and the winds and the soil to fuel our cars and run our factories”. This is what I believe Obama is going to change, and this one change is what will make him one of the greatest presidents of United States. This one change is not limited to any particular geography or community; this change will be for the entire mankind. This will result in energy security which in turn is related to lot of social and political woes of the world. Renewable energy is at a stage what the IT industry was four decades ago or can be said as still at its nascent stage.


For now I surely pity the person who has been loaded with tons of expectations my best wishes are there with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment