Saturday, January 17, 2009

Day out in Trivendrum

This blogs comes earlier then what I planned actually. I got some time again at the airport this time being the Trivendrum airport. Could not get inside as what I understand that I am so early that even the airline guys responsible for the baggage scanning not even reported.

Last night I arrived home at 11:00 PM from Singapore after a heavy schedule and this morning I had to fly to Trivendrum for a customer meeting. Sleepily I arrived to the airport and did sit in a small turboprop ATR. It was quite congested inside but somehow managed to fit in. For the first time in my life I regretted taking the aisle seat. Please do remember if you are flying to Kerala, do fly day time, In a low flying ATR and have a window seat. All this seems to be mandatory now after this experience. As we were approaching Kerala my colleague declared that we are flying over a big city as he was the one sitting on the window seat and having a gage outside all the time. By this time I only trying to get every word of my favourite newspaper digested which I could get my hands on after few days. I did have a look outside and then on the watch and then as if a great navigator I too declared it is Coimbatore. After some time we could watch a dam, by this time I was totally engrossed in what’s getting showcased to us. My colleague overwhelmed by the sight promised himself to search this place in google maps. Well ATR fly quite close to the earth to give a fantastic view outside. Soon the Pilot was announcing that we are going to reach our destination in 18 minutes flat. We could see coconut trees all around , I must say they are my favourite when I am in land for taking photographs and even as a child I used to draw a lot of them but now from top it seems little ugly as there were everywhere as a elegy would to the water. With best of my effort I could not find a single not green spot on the earth. Seat belt signs where grossly dis-obeyed as people were eager to take the photographs of the beaches, landscape whatever they were able to make out. I just forgot to add the camera in the list above; even if you are just going to set a single foot to Kerala do not forget to bring in this necessary accessory.

Finally we did land into the airport which looked more like a deserted bus stand. Got our cab driver a pot belied dhoti clad guy who speaks broken English, though enough for us to manage. We were to visit a customer a Govt. Educational body 20 kilometres away from airport. Kerala landscape is unique, you keep on playing hide and seek with the sea all the time. The houses are having slopes to beat the rainy days. You get the spurt of churches, temples and mosque indicating the population of that particular locality. We were worried about our food hence called the customer; they ensured us that hot vegetarian food would be waiting for us.

Customer was true to his promise; we headed straight to the mess meant especially for the professors. While serving me I wanted to be doubly sure about a food Item and the director from the back said that everything is vegetarian, it’s difficult to manage non-vegetarian food any ways he added. Food was simple and spicy.

While back had ample of time hence asked Murgesh (Our cab driver) and he took us to a boat club called “Veli Tourist place” . When we reached this place we could see a big crowd at the entrance. Without having a great opinion about the place I still pushed the cash to the counter for the entrance tickets. Well the place turned out to be good it had a backwater, sea shore and most importantly a floating restaurant. We were hungry by this time and had a quick grab at the sandwiches.

On the way back could not resist to drop in by a beach and spend some time in with the waves which were tirelessly hitting the shore. By the time I am writing this I am back on the plane onward to Bangalore. It is already dark out there and I do not repent my decision on aisle seat now. The air hostess were too fast in conducting security instructions as if in fast forward mode that they did finally ended up in eating few words altogether.

I had seen almost the entire length and breadth of Kerala earlier but this day out was somehow very different.

1 comment: